Skip to main content

Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS



I was the one whose destiny was poached
eggs. From the tap poured water

the water which tries to face
what face it wants 

to face, then decides two bubbles.
In the water’s surface I saw no face I owned
just clear to the bottom

of the pot I felt I could scry
and once a blue agate beat like a heart
as I held it in my hand.

I was once shocked by a crystal
and by a man who shipped a black coffin
from Athabasca to a locality 

with two crates of baby chicks destined
for Mitsue—such a strange pairing

this memory stirred by poaching eggs
who need vinegar. The image of the lid

fastened on the crate may be why I help
these eggs to their end, the spinning 

water, egg rising from the boiling pot drawn out
by a spider. Eggs I use to tell my fortune
it never makes sense:

purse, bridal dress, cloud, ghost, the dark
chicken smell. I love their cloaks, 

the concealment of their glow, that yellow
wrapped up in themselves like an MFA student.

I really feel the food chain stronger when the Moon
is in Cancer. I was desperate to know 

where the chickens were headed, and why
the coffin, so diamond-like and inevitable 

included me on its journey, I hated signs, kept my eyes
open for the birds, in the end they lost six.




Matthew Walsh is a poet whose work is forthcoming in CV2. Their first poetry book, These are not the potatoes of my youth, was released in 2019.

Popular posts from this blog

submissions :: where is the river

Up to six poems in a single .doc file with author biography and photo to kieferjdlogan@gmail.com All rights revert to the author/s upon publication.

issue twenty-seven :: January/February 2022

  Christopher Patton :: Glitch Apple Howie Good :: Three poems Kenneth M Cale :: Three visual poems Christian Ward :: Three poems Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS Jeremy Scott :: Five poems

about :: where is the river

where is the river :: a poetry experiment is a bi-monthly poetry journal open to a variety of aesthetics, forms and experiences, with a preference towards showcasing work by emerging writers. There is no single path, nor any single way. Founded in September 2017. Edited by Kiefer JD Logan.