Skip to main content

Howie Good :: Three poems

 

Moments Like This Never Last

A recorded message assures me for what seems the twentieth time that my call is important. I want wings made of eyes before the hold music returns – “Winter” from Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons.” Somewhere in the future, a frighteningly cadaverous woman in blue scrubs who says her name is April asks, “On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the lowest, how severe is your pain?” Leaves on the trees immediately wither as the burning airship passes overhead. My wife refuses all offers of a ride. Reality is most real when it dissolves into shadow and mist. We cling together just like the words in a poem.

 

 

Dead Trees

For years, my condition remained undiagnosed. I was scarecrow thin and often cold, and I was always having to look up how to spell words whose spellings I suddenly couldn’t recall. When I went out in my black beret and belted black raincoat, I might have even been mistaken for the author who famously discouraged the use of semicolons. Or at least for some unhinged grammarian on a self-appointed mission to silence him. But just because my condition now has a name doesn’t mean it has a proven treatment. I watch in trepidation as these woods fill up with snow.

 

 

Scenes from a Drinking Life

I knew him back when I worked the lobster trick at the old Charlotte Observer. His byline contained pretty much every consonant in the alphabet. He was the typical police reporter – a hard-drinking, chain-smoking Army vet with limited education but excellent sources in law enforcement and strip clubs. His one eccentricity was that despite fleshy cheeks flushed with broken blood vessels he loved to be photographed. Somewhere I have a picture of him standing in a drunken daze outside the newspaper building, his head crooked to the side as if he were listening to the Carter Family sing “Wildwood Flower” via his metal fillings.

 

 

 

Howie Good is the author of Failed Haiku, a poetry collection that is the co-winner of the 2021 Grey Book Press Chapbook Contest. It is scheduled for publication in summer 2022.

Popular posts from this blog

submissions :: where is the river

Up to six poems in a single .doc file with author biography and photo to kieferjdlogan@gmail.com All rights revert to the author/s upon publication.

issue twenty-seven :: January/February 2022

  Christopher Patton :: Glitch Apple Howie Good :: Three poems Kenneth M Cale :: Three visual poems Christian Ward :: Three poems Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS Jeremy Scott :: Five poems

about :: where is the river

where is the river :: a poetry experiment is a bi-monthly poetry journal open to a variety of aesthetics, forms and experiences, with a preference towards showcasing work by emerging writers. There is no single path, nor any single way. Founded in September 2017. Edited by Kiefer JD Logan.