Skip to main content

Rachel Tanner :: Three poems





“In Lust on a Wednesday”

Jesus Christ, have you seen
yourself? I didn't know I cared about
height until I met you, skyscraping
through the house reaching ceiling corners 
to catch bugs and put them outside 
instead of killing them. The way your 
brown, silky hair tumbles its slight curls
into your face, your ice-blue eyes
sometimes completely hidden. Speaking
of your eyes - what the fuck? I could
stare at them all day. I could stare at you 

all day.

 


“Long Night”
 

The night my cat didn't die,
I remember her there so clearly.
her green-yellow spill on the carpet
soaked-in and foaming angrily. I remember
crying, holding her, begging
whatever version of her could hear me
to hang on. And you were there
to comfort me during one of my
longest nights. You kissed
my forehead, told me
things would
be better in the morning, 

and they were.

 

"Version Two"
 

My love for you
is like
space debris -
difficult to
account
for (there are
no words for this).

 


 

Rachel Tanner is a queer, disabled writer from Alabama whose work has recently appeared in Tenderness Lit, Wine Cellar Press, and elsewhere. She has a monthly videogame writing column in Videodame and she tweets @rickit.

Popular posts from this blog

submissions :: where is the river

Up to six poems in a single .doc file with author biography and photo to kieferjdlogan@gmail.com All rights revert to the author/s upon publication.

issue twenty-seven :: January/February 2022

  Christopher Patton :: Glitch Apple Howie Good :: Three poems Kenneth M Cale :: Three visual poems Christian Ward :: Three poems Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS Jeremy Scott :: Five poems

about :: where is the river

where is the river :: a poetry experiment is a bi-monthly poetry journal open to a variety of aesthetics, forms and experiences, with a preference towards showcasing work by emerging writers. There is no single path, nor any single way. Founded in September 2017. Edited by Kiefer JD Logan.