Skip to main content

Sean L Corbin :: Five poems

 


THE LEPER ADDRESSES THE DEAD HORSE HE FOUND IN THE ROAD

Dear sister, you should know
that I understand the need to run, 

to cut yourself open on barbs
and write a goodbye note in blood
on a splintered fence post, 

to escape the tilled earth and
a life that offers oats so seldomly. 

I stand beside you, lay my hands
upon your still-warm rib cage,
and breathe in the steam lifting from
your wet skin in the cool night air. 

I am drawing you into my body,
saturating my blood in your sweat. 

There was something broken inside you
long before the junkie crashed
his truck into your flesh. 

There was something worse than fractures.

It was a hollow place in your stomach
that no dried grass could fill. 

I gather you in my veins and exhale
with violence and hope that you find
a current to drift lazily upon, that you find
a row already plowed in which to rest your
cracked hooves, that you are released back
into the stars that gave birth to you— 

just so long as a piece of you stays here
in my bone marrow, growing cell
by cell into a new kind of majestic.

 

 

 

CHURCH

Lying here in the dark moments before
our days begin, I lay my hand on your 

shoulder and let your soft skin warm
my tired and moody palm. I think of bird 

song and full neon blooms. I think of
your face like the sun, your lips solar flares. 

I think of all the planets swirling around us,
the stars like stained glass, the comets 

like hallelujahs, supernovas bursting
behind your eyelids like fresh prayers.

 

 

ALL I COULD REALLY ASK FOR

If you could, hold my remains
in your hands like an offering
in a slight breeze. Let me blow over 

the waters of Eagle Lake until
the wind can no longer hold me.
Let me float to the back banks 

and cling to the dark earth, and
a year later go back there where
we first began to crack open and 

stretch our many limbs across
one another, where we first began
to root into the soil and reach 

for the sun. Go back there and hike
to the farthest point on the property.
Find the youngest patch of weeds along 

the water’s edge. Stick your face
in its feathered globe and inhale deeply
and there I’ll be: something that 

keeps you alive, a tattoo etched
into the flesh around your heart like
a stick-tight seed that never lets go.

 

 

 

THE PEARL TABLET OF ATUM

I have shed skin and hair and
phlegm and teeth and irises. 

I am a raw shapeless mound of dark
grass and reeds, my eyes burning
an incandescent crystalline green. 

Here I go,

ready to slither into something new,
a body built from head to heel by
my own hand, the scales my own design 

good for snaking
across a primed and empty sky.

 

 

 

ON THE BACK STOOP AS SPRING ARRIVES IN LEXINGTON KENTUCKY
after James Wright

A cardinal hops from the young rose bush
Amanda planted last year to the privacy fence 

between us and the cul-de-sac of townhouses
and duplexes. It blends with those hesitant 

blooms, that sky of cool blood.
The backyard teems with life, 

patches of green growth and bulbs
and unsure wood bees, birdsong and 

the calcified remains of leaves
I left through the winter, 

and if I have not wasted my life
then I have certainly left a rocky trail 

littered with unopened flower buds, drops
of blood from thorns, dead branches 

never pruned. If only I had unbroken wings,
a few hops and flaps and then the top

of the fence and then beyond, my boys
watching through binoculars, taking notes.

 

 

 

Sean L Corbin is the author of The Leper Dreams of Snow (Finishing Line, 2018), and the self-published chapbook Radiate (2020). His work has had the good fortune of being presented in many venues. He lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with his wife and sons, and is co-founder of the Milestone Art Collective.

Popular posts from this blog

submissions :: where is the river

Up to six poems in a single .doc file with author biography and photo to kieferjdlogan@gmail.com All rights revert to the author/s upon publication.

issue twenty-seven :: January/February 2022

  Christopher Patton :: Glitch Apple Howie Good :: Three poems Kenneth M Cale :: Three visual poems Christian Ward :: Three poems Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS Jeremy Scott :: Five poems

about :: where is the river

where is the river :: a poetry experiment is a bi-monthly poetry journal open to a variety of aesthetics, forms and experiences, with a preference towards showcasing work by emerging writers. There is no single path, nor any single way. Founded in September 2017. Edited by Kiefer JD Logan.