Skip to main content

Jake Levine :: Four poems

  

The poets are serious. The translators are serious. Everyone is serious but me.


First the stakes were low
Then the stakes were high
Then the stakes were in my heart.
I asked the administer of hearts
Who stabbed the stakes in there
And she said that the people who
Put them there would like to remain anonymous.
Already stabbed, it was hard to heart
anything or give the heart to somebody.
Who did I do wrong?
I became extremely paranoid.
I thought about what to do for a long while
And it seemed there was only one possibility.
I took my staked heart
And stabbed onions and peppers
Onto the stake
And put it on the grill
In my backyard.
In Korean there is an expression
Eat my heart
Which means you’ve made up your mind.
I added salt and pepper and listened
To the sound of my heart sizzling
Like a cartoon snake
While I drank a diet dr. pepper out of a can.
Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.
In my backyard
Was my old friend the saguaro cactus named Bill.
Bill had been there
Thousands of years, but had only
Grown a single arm.
A cactus wren poked a hole in Bills head
And made a nest inside.
When the bird slept at night
It looked like Bill had a bird in his mouth.
This afternoon the bird looked hungry and scared.
Do you want to eat my heart?
I asked the little cactus wren.
The bird looked at me
Then my heart
Then at me.
I sipped my dr. pepper.
Ssssssssssssssssss
Sizzled my heart.

 

 

 

Kim Jong Un and Jake Levine

 

When Kim Jong Un’s father died
And Kim Jong Un rose to the position of Supreme Leader of North Korea
And Leader of the Workers Party of Korea
Jake Levine got hired at Sejong University.
Kim Jong Un and Jake Levine are the same age.
Kim Jong Un and Jake Levine both gained weight.
Kim Jong Un and Jake Levine both struggle
To control their smoking habits.
And yet, Jake Levine is not married to a famous North Korean singer
And Jake Levine has no nuclear warheads.
Although Jake Levine and Kim Jong Un live on the same peninsula
And watched Dennis Rodman play basketball as children,
Jake Levine does not have a security detail
Jake Levine rarely has people cry when he meets them.
Jake Levine has had very cool haircuts
And yet he has never held hands
With South Korean president Moon Jae-in.
Jake Levine got a PhD and reads a lot of books
Each book he reads means he knows
that the more he knows
the more he understands
how little power he has.

 

 

 

Ode to Belly Lint

 

They say humans have really big brains, and yet
Because I am not that far evolved
From a troglodyte, I have a lot of body hair.
I produce a ball of lint in my belly button
Everyday I wear a shirt, which is mostly
everyday. At first I thought these balls of lint
Were shaped like small animals
So I imagined them as tiny dolls
Children could play with. But then I came to recognize
The bellybutton lint as my alter-ego.
Everyday I am born
And picked out of a shallow hole
And at night I am thrown into a bin or washed
Into some drain.
Everyday I am different and yet
Everyday I am the same.
At the end of the long day I wonder
does the belly lint come into consciousness?
And if it does, does it think its alter ego
Is a human being named Jake Levine?
My friend James Hall told me
That it is important you decide
Who your inner diva is.
My friend Bo McGuire’s inner diva
Is Dolly Parton.
My friend Jen Hui Bon Hoa’s inner diva
Is Jacques Ranciere.
My inner diva is belly lint.

 

 

 

Negative Capability

 

Today I got lost in the fog
The brain fog.
It was thick with no light at the end.
I was paid
To grab my students in their black Zoom boxes
and drag them into the fog.
A blue
Alligator with no teeth
Stuck its head up from the swamp and
Smiled at our feet.
I stuck out my foot.
I wanted to let the alligator eat me.
Eat me Beast! I screamed.
I wanted to be entertaining
So that my students got something
For their money.
I said Behold the Human Sacrifice!
But with no teeth the alligator just sucked
And gummed my leg.
I bought some medicated cream
For the rash that developed
On my leg that the alligator bit.
The fact that it itched
Was something I didn’t share.
A rash is not something to make a spectacle out of.


 

Jake Levine is an award-winning American translator, poet, editor and scholar. He is an assistant professor of Creative Writing at Keimyung University and serves as the editor of the Korean poetry series Moon Country at Black Ocean. After receiving both his BA and MFA from the University of Arizona, Jake was the recipient of a Fulbright Scholarship to Lithuania. While there he co-founded the Vilnius Bagel Project with Menachem Kaiser and a group of local artists. The bagel project was a series of events and pop-up installations, reintroducing Jewish culture through bagel making and bagel eating. The project appeared in various spaces, including as part of an exhibition at the Contemporary Art Centre in Vilnius and at several cultural events hosted by the United States Embassy.

Previously Jake has served as the editor-in-chief of Sonora Review, as the poetry editor of Spork Press, and as an assistant editor at Acta Koreana. Additionally, he edited a syndicated column of interviews and articles about contemporary American poets for Munjang webzine. He has published, co-published, and translated or co-translated over a dozen books. His translation of Kim Kyung Ju’s I Am a Season that Does Not Exist in the World (Black Ocean) was a finalist for the Lucien Stryk prize in 2017. In 2020 he was the co-recipient of the National Translation Award and the Lucien Stryk Prize for Kim Yideum’s Hysteria (Action Books), first time both prizes have been awarded to a single collection. Subsequently Hysteria has also been nominated for the inaugural Sarah Maguire Prize. His work has also appeared in publications like Boston Review, Guernica, The New York Times, and Granta.

Most recently his co-translations of Kim Minjeong’s Beautiful and Useless (Black Ocean) and The Poems of Hwang Yuwon, Ha Jaeyoun, and Seo Daekyung (Vagabond Press) were published in the fall of 2020. Outside of literature, he has recently translated lyrics for Big Hit Entertainment and exhibition material for the Daegu Art Museum with Soohyun Yang. He is currently ABD in a PhD program in comparative literature at Seoul National University, where he attended with the support of a Korean Government Scholarship.

Popular posts from this blog

submissions :: where is the river

Up to six poems in a single .doc file with author biography and photo to kieferjdlogan@gmail.com All rights revert to the author/s upon publication.

issue twenty-seven :: January/February 2022

  Christopher Patton :: Glitch Apple Howie Good :: Three poems Kenneth M Cale :: Three visual poems Christian Ward :: Three poems Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS Jeremy Scott :: Five poems

about :: where is the river

where is the river :: a poetry experiment is a bi-monthly poetry journal open to a variety of aesthetics, forms and experiences, with a preference towards showcasing work by emerging writers. There is no single path, nor any single way. Founded in September 2017. Edited by Kiefer JD Logan.