Skip to main content

Lauren Bender :: Six poems

 

Encapsulation

I stop to buy a necklace on my way out, one you
won't like, a silver cross, but it doesn't mean I want 

anything more any more than it means you want to
be a mother when you browse baby shoes and have 

mini-breakdowns over the smallness of their feet.
There is something so beautiful about a cross. You 

know how I feel about shapes. You know how I want
to surround myself with symbols. Somehow, I have to 

singe a significance into my skin and hope to have
stamina enough to hold onto it a while. Or else my eyes 

will search out what is missing, something you
call my selfish game. I promise I would never want 

to offend by wearing a beloved god in my attempt to
kick crawling away, but in the dark it's hard to have 

integrity at core, so much core forced out by fears. 

 

Golden shovel: “You want to have feet. / You want to have eyes. / You want to have fears.” – Jane Hirshfield

 

 

Vanity Dance

Vanessa (the beautiful), bring it back a bit. Vanessa, you
crushed a glass bottle with a flimsy shoe, but I don't 

see any trace of blood. My knuckles, if I have
not lotioned, are red-speckled just from exposure to 

cold air. I doubt you ever dry out, Vanessa. You like
to play with magic, with shape-shifting, but if you gift me 

anything, I wish to sing. Vanessa, I'm not sure you
have a stronger evil than your song, overheard. It's just 

youth, it's only hair and skin. You are simply asking to have
her. I am afraid to say anything to your face, afraid to 

flood your limbs back to flippers like a rush of pus let
loose from a pimple. Stay this you and I will stay this me, 

okay? Vanessa, the ocean is filled with poison, and we keep
feeding it plastic. A fair warning it is no longer your 

pure haven, needing only power. You must put your body
into its body with love and match its breath to yours. 

Vanessa, I can smell the deep salt of your throat. It's
like a deli, overwhelming. Your brine serenading mine.

  

Golden shovel: “You don’t have to like me. // You just have to let me / keep your body yours. It’s mine.” – Lynn Melnick

 

Beaver, attaching
 

Dearest, 

in the summer will you send me sugar
to rub on my arms? my skin simmers
so bland; when I can hardly focus because
everyone around me smells like cake
that recurring dream happens & I kiss
women, I hang sticky from their lips
like insects to a net. moments of rest.
who can fly all night, my love? across
an ocean, I insist it never causes
what one might call a problem; the weather
is bleak but poetic; the city beautiful
but empty; this child has a fine mind &
I love her, though I am cold, though she is
charming in her desperation, I lie & lie
like a good mother - as if I could know
what such a job entails! if anyone could
understand the pleasure of isolation,
darling, it would have to be you. perhaps
you are existing somewhere, forehead
furrowed, by a lake, putting your pretty
words in their pretty order. I should
almost hate anyone else with their face
on the stairs, their actuality, throw
them down like a moth mid-tantrum
fluttering too close. no more wings in my
eyes, love, no more blending with this
life. send me sweetness to administer,
hour by hour. send me your silly self.
I don't know, again, where the afternoon has
gone, but the people are sizing night
with sadness, so restless, forgetting
themselves with scotch, & I am happy
as any separated lover can be. sometimes
a mad sort of despair seizes me
until I remember. I am tired of going on.
write. send your letters to the desert. 

Yours, forever

 

 

unlatched

stop believing in the bondedness of birth. his fingers jab at your back, tips only, pointy and independent. we'll talk about smiles in a second. for now you shudder, as if each exact place where he has put himself in contact with you is a dark cat whisker shed on the bathroom floor. a mustache crawling away from the face in search of choice branches and shoots shadowed with the bitterness of stout. [notes on smiles] what's important is genuine or fake, and there really isn't much of a science to it. you were made to make light. in photo after photo, you shine and shine and shine. but here you are off, unplugged, hours past having fled the visual field. and those eyes, the way they write songs about wrongness and signal private as possible a sort of plan for saving you, which could go on for years if carried out properly. stop buying into that theory, the one that goes, you were built for hate. what happened? nothing happened. you are little, and sulking, and no one has you. there are a thousand methods for breaking a person and if you remember this many, how many did you miss? of course you have been chiseled into stone, ungrateful, hunched. neverwinged and appraising from your perch. of course: oh god. get me out of here. if in there long enough, you know how you will doctor the shot. there is no one behind you or beside you. there are only those still out there, ones who could love you better.

 

 

Gray goes to a wedding

Rise in the morning and do not put on jeans,
because she is getting married. 

Once, as a joke, I threw on
black jeans, my formal wear,
to strut the corporate hallways
where I used to spend hours
lessening my visibility: generic slacks,
fancy-ish tops from department stores.
Solid colors or maybe subdued
flowers, maybe the hint of a pattern, 

but surely, little to comment on.

I bought a dress,
I text her. 

I hope it's okay. It was the only one
I could stand. It's gray. 

It reminds me of Emily the recluse,
I want to add, or Emily
and Keeper. I found the dress
of a writer who never learned how to know
another human. And now 

we're all just waiting
to see what happens and who will be
remembered and how she'll be remembered. 

I stop myself at its color, and she laughs at me
for even worrying about her opinion,
but in truth, I spend
so little time out of the city, and
so little time out of my home, and
so little time out of pajamas 

I don't know,
I don't know
anymore. 

After the ceremony, I stand beside her
for a picture, and we are alight
in each other's company,
stranger that I am, like best friends. I think 

I am saying I love her,
in that weird way
being uncomfortable does.       

 


Process of Elimination

 

When my wife and I want to find something to watch
together, I pull up the guide and start to scroll 

through, and at the first sign of a suitable option
she says yes, that one, and she is done searching, 

whereas I can't be until I have seen every option,
checked every channel we have to make sure we don't 

miss out on something better. Her disinterest in
the "something betters" of life, so healthy and so 

content, can make my skin crawl. I think of this when
I think of perfume, which isn't often, a rare moment 

when someone asks my opinion, what perfume do I wear,
what is my favorite perfume, and I have to say none 

and what my mother used to wear (Oscar de la Renta),
what my wife sometimes wears (Obsession, Calvin Klein), 

because these are my only reference points in a wide
world of scent I have largely ignored. I think of how 

it would go (how it would have to go), with hundreds
to choose from, how I would select one, most likely 

at random, or based on name, letters, numerology,
wear it for a month, collect samples, maybe purchase 

a second, switch over for a week, attempt to detect
a whiff of preference between them. Something tells me 

I would not care, would think, my skin smells weird
either way, and I am always a little afraid to eat 

my food now, this faint cloud of lovely poison set
loose about me, traveling when I travel, ineradicable 

as a part of my person now. A decision one can never
escape from never sits well. If anything, I require 

a perfume that defies physics, one that would vanish
if I snapped my fingers, with not a single lingering 

drop left behind. A perfume that is an exact fit for
my essence, and that includes the part of me that is 

a lover of the path not taken (in this case: no perfume).
I do have, in my hoarded possessions, mementos 

from younger years, a small white plastic container,
adorned with a flower. The Oscar. An emptied jar from 

my mother's dresser, face cream or body powder (and
did I ask her for it, or was it swiped in a moment of 

stealth? I suppose it depends on what degree of sullen
teen I had reached by the time I tucked it inside 

my box of secrets). Sometimes I pop it open and dip
my nose down and inhale. And inhale. And all of it, 

everything, comes back. If you want to bring me back,
I have not created a bridge to do it this way (though 

I hope I have built others, even ones that can only be
accessed by body), and that alone can give me pause.



Lauren Bender lives in Burlington, VT. Her work has appeared in IDK Magazine, The Collapsar, Gyroscope Review, Pittsburgh Poetry Review, Yes Poetry, and others. You can find her on twitter @benderpoet.

Popular posts from this blog

submissions :: where is the river

Up to six poems in a single .doc file with author biography and photo to kieferjdlogan@gmail.com All rights revert to the author/s upon publication.

issue twenty-seven :: January/February 2022

  Christopher Patton :: Glitch Apple Howie Good :: Three poems Kenneth M Cale :: Three visual poems Christian Ward :: Three poems Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS Jeremy Scott :: Five poems

about :: where is the river

where is the river :: a poetry experiment is a bi-monthly poetry journal open to a variety of aesthetics, forms and experiences, with a preference towards showcasing work by emerging writers. There is no single path, nor any single way. Founded in September 2017. Edited by Kiefer JD Logan.