Skip to main content

James Croal Jackson :: Four poems

 

September Pool Rental

Lost that social
muscle, backstroke
that splashes all the 

words my mouth
wants to say but
needs weed 

for, the weeds
overgrowing
in the far 

away wild.
My back
patio’s 

unbearable,
its familiarity.
I want 

a pool, or
someone new
to dive into 

my mind
and stay
a while.

 

 

28th Street Bridge

Every time I drive the 28th St. Bridge I always make the joke
to myself– should I really be driving on this? 

It's a paunchy punchline to no one and still I apologize for it–
a comment on the bridge's chipped green paint and rusted 

hinges, the (perceivedly) rickety short-distance, its creaking (I
don’t hear a thing). How close I've been to a laugh, some snicker 

into an abyss– I've said much worse to people and not apologized,
driving over the strip after a fight with my lover, suspended 

in the air a silence like tracking a FedEx truck with a package
you know will reach you but when? That apology– the tethering 

between the space of sound, the hum of a hungry engine,
covalence of steel and structure bonding across a void.

 

 

Indie Film Production

Sherry from makeup tells me I am
cherubic, my face something mischievous, 

a wallpaper torn–or an advertisement
from biblical times. I, however, do not believe 

I am responsible for the ten thousand dollars
she thinks I owe. This cash she says my 

hidden hands hold are shredded shards
of fallen founding fathers. If you think I am 

a liar, a pig– come touch up my face.

 


Sketches of Buildings

Happy to finally be introduced, you said I’m proud of this architecture.
It’s true– your sketches are exquisite. In the gallery, your large displays 

of heart-shaped buildings: blueprints of love in metaphorical forms.
A while ago, when I was lost and new (and you were, too), I knocked at 

your door and the day led us to a festival, a sunny ninety. We drank
lemonade and walked with sour-sweet lips as ghosts through strangers. 

It didn’t work out, us, but we’d see each other at shows and you’d ask me
when you’d meet my partner. Next time, I’d say, like I was ready to build 

something new from the crumbles my desire likes to leave, how
to draw these ashes shapes for someone new to admire.

 

  

James Croal Jackson (he/him/his) is a Filipino-American poet. He has a chapbook, The Frayed Edge of Memory (Writing Knights Press, 2017), and poems published in Sampsonia Way, San Antonio Review, and Chiron Review, among others. He edits The Mantle Poetry (themantlepoetry.com) and works in film production in Pittsburgh, PA. (jamescroaljackson.com)

Popular posts from this blog

submissions :: where is the river

Up to six poems in a single .doc file with author biography and photo to kieferjdlogan@gmail.com All rights revert to the author/s upon publication.

issue twenty-seven :: January/February 2022

  Christopher Patton :: Glitch Apple Howie Good :: Three poems Kenneth M Cale :: Three visual poems Christian Ward :: Three poems Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS Jeremy Scott :: Five poems

about :: where is the river

where is the river :: a poetry experiment is a bi-monthly poetry journal open to a variety of aesthetics, forms and experiences, with a preference towards showcasing work by emerging writers. There is no single path, nor any single way. Founded in September 2017. Edited by Kiefer JD Logan.