Skip to main content

Kharys Ateh Laue :: Heirloom


1
She is made up of
however many bones there are in a
human skeleton & a badly crushed
waxpaper mouth & skin as thin and
baggy as an old T-shirt. She has two
blue eyes. One is flesh&blood, the
other handblown glass.

2
Names mean nothing to her anymore.
She keeps her hands in her lap like two
bald veinous animals. She is knackered
through&through to her bone marrow
from all the godawful hours of waiting.

3
I take her right hand and hold it.
Your hands are cold, she says.
I have bad circulation, I say.
Her smile droops between its pegs.
Cold hands, warm heart, she says.
She peers at me with her live eye.
Who are you? she says.

4
I am your granddaughter, I say.
Hah, she says. What are you doing here?
She waits. Her skin drags from her bones.
I’ve come to visit you, I say. I’ve come all
the way from South Africa to see you here.
She frowns. She bloats her cheeks, blows.
If you’ve come from South Africa, she says,
then where am I?

5
She asks this question without confusion or
emotion, as if it is a philosophical problem.
But her point flays my voice good and wide.
You are in Canada, I say at last. You are in
Canada now, Goma. She shivers. That is a
shame, she says. Ja. That is a real shame.
I belong in South Africa.
Grief kneels in her eyes.

6
Are you tired, I ask. She lifts her eyelids
and looks at me. Well yes, she says. Yes,
of course I’m tired. She works her lips.
You see, she says, the older people get,
the tireder they get. They become tired
of living. They become tired of waiting.

7
I lean and kiss her bloodshot cheek. Goodbye, I say.
It’s been wonderful seeing you. She is 92 years old.
I will not see her again. I press her hand, restore it
to its mate. Her dead eye
rolls and flares. Blue fury
fills the room. She demands,
Why do you all of a sudden like me so much?
This question is the heirloom she bequeaths me.

8
A good question. A question worth devoting
some time to. Afterall, she doesn't know me.
I do not know her. She is right to suspect my
solicitude. But I choose to misunderstand her.
Because you are my grandmother, I answer.

These are the barren last words I bestow on
the woman who bore and raised my father.




Kharys Ateh Laue is a South African writer whose short fiction has appeared in Cleaver Magazine, Jalada, Brittle Paper, New Contrast, Itch, and Pif Magazine. In 2017, her short story “Plums” was longlisted for the Short Story Day Africa Prize. Her academic work, which focuses on the depiction of race, gender, and animals in South African fiction, has been published in English Studies in Africa, Scrutiny2, and the Journal of Literary Studies. She currently lives in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.


Popular posts from this blog

submissions :: where is the river

Up to six poems in a single .doc file with author biography and photo to kieferjdlogan@gmail.com All rights revert to the author/s upon publication.

issue twenty-seven :: January/February 2022

  Christopher Patton :: Glitch Apple Howie Good :: Three poems Kenneth M Cale :: Three visual poems Christian Ward :: Three poems Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS Jeremy Scott :: Five poems

about :: where is the river

where is the river :: a poetry experiment is a bi-monthly poetry journal open to a variety of aesthetics, forms and experiences, with a preference towards showcasing work by emerging writers. There is no single path, nor any single way. Founded in September 2017. Edited by Kiefer JD Logan.