Skip to main content

Ethan Vilu :: Four poems


Bow Valley Vignettes

Porcelain perfume and
plastic parking garage
toys on the main street

-

An unsurprised standoff
between glass doors and
unshoveled deck, too much
snow, weather watching
Orioles, no, Ross’ Geese,
shimmering Lake Minnewanka

-

Ornate tea leaves I meant
to send you so long ago, but
you’re here now, it’s all such
a grateful and grandiose thing -
the tap water is cold as I
breathe in and think
of the future.



Another Dream About Parksville

In three years now I’ve
moved to scenic blue Parksville
for a matchless summer aura
and cornucopia of grains
spilling out into the ocean –
reaping and sowing
giving, and taking
all things into the trench

I have a diary of luminous,
such luminous, sad, dull, nothing
over six packs of Stanley Park
such an earnest conversation
on such horrible things -

“Damn, I get it –“
you see why I did what I did
as I slick back another small auburn
and all of this so amazing

glissando / boreal / orchid
in three years I have learned
to sound out these qualities
and play against a prism in the dark



On Impulse

Sell my Bobby McFerrin tickets,
I’m fucking off to Nova Scotia.

I’m gonna get really good at
painting lighthouses by the sea -

the torrential waves, the bare-faced
rock, the stoic, resolute towers.

I’m gonna sell my work in some
tourist trap like Peggy’s Cove, or

the Halifax waterfront - a small,
but sufficient living for my efforts.

It’ll be serene, it’ll be grand.
I’ll be happy in the ocean air.

And maybe one day I’ll be back.
We’ll see.



Untitled (After Tommy Flanagan)

 The potted plant does putative dances -
“Is that what that is” – I wonder as it
moves waltz-like from the back deck
to the dining table and back again, as
if a laconic and sublime game of racquets.

So many words, and so little time, but really
so much time lately, and so few words –
“I’m old fashioned.” You say as you sip
on the mulch, bearing back at me again
an imposing glide like so much spherical felt.




Ethan Vilu is a writer, editor and fledgling bookseller from Calgary, Canada. Their poetry longsheet A Decision Re: Zurich was published by The Blasted Tree in March 2020. Passionate about western vistas and material culture, they currently do editing work with NōD Magazine and filling Station.

Popular posts from this blog

submissions :: where is the river

Up to six poems in a single .doc file with author biography and photo to kieferjdlogan@gmail.com All rights revert to the author/s upon publication.

issue twenty-seven :: January/February 2022

  Christopher Patton :: Glitch Apple Howie Good :: Three poems Kenneth M Cale :: Three visual poems Christian Ward :: Three poems Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS Jeremy Scott :: Five poems

about :: where is the river

where is the river :: a poetry experiment is a bi-monthly poetry journal open to a variety of aesthetics, forms and experiences, with a preference towards showcasing work by emerging writers. There is no single path, nor any single way. Founded in September 2017. Edited by Kiefer JD Logan.