Skip to main content

Darren C. Demaree :: A NIGHT SO BEAUTIFUL WE HAD TO BURN DOWN THE SENATOR’S HOUSE #57



I didn’t expect an explosion,
but there was an explosion.
Somebody had left

a partially torn-down meth setup
in the kitchen of the house,
so that fucker went up

like we had dropped a bomb on it.
We couldn’t disappear after that.
We were on our asses after that.

Everybody with a camera phone
finished taking our pictures while
we waited for the police.

We stank from the effort.  I wanted
to smell like a fire, but I didn’t.
I smelled like a long, beautiful night

that ended with an ending
that could never wash off.  I fidgeted
a little in the first rising dust

of the day.  I watched the flames
& thought of the horses
from the creek.  They would have

been so proud of us right now.
I thought of my friend’s dead wife.
I fell asleep on that road

& I dreamed of no terror
& I dreamed up until they cuffed me
& reminded me of my many rights.


Darren C. Demaree: I am the author of six poetry collections, most recently Many Full Hands Applauding Inelegantly (2016, 8th House Publishing). My seventh collection Two Towns Over was selected as the winner of the Louise Bogan Award by Trio House Press, and is scheduled to be released in March of 2018. I am the Managing Editor of the Best of the Net Anthology and Ovenbird Poetry.

I am currently living and writing in Columbus, Ohio with my wife and children.

Popular posts from this blog

submissions :: where is the river

Up to six poems in a single .doc file with author biography and photo to kieferjdlogan@gmail.com All rights revert to the author/s upon publication.

issue twenty-seven :: January/February 2022

  Christopher Patton :: Glitch Apple Howie Good :: Three poems Kenneth M Cale :: Three visual poems Christian Ward :: Three poems Matthew Walsh :: POACHED EGGS Jeremy Scott :: Five poems

about :: where is the river

where is the river :: a poetry experiment is a bi-monthly poetry journal open to a variety of aesthetics, forms and experiences, with a preference towards showcasing work by emerging writers. There is no single path, nor any single way. Founded in September 2017. Edited by Kiefer JD Logan.